George Busenberg, PhD
Associate Professor of Environmental Management and Policy
Director of Environmental Studies
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., Rice University
- At SUA since 2009
- 2002-2009, Assistant Professor, University of Colorado Denver
- 2000-2002, Assistant Professor, University of Nevada Las Vegas
- 1997-2000, Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Environmental Policy and Oil Pollution Prevention
- Environmental Policy and Wilderness Protection
Selected Papers, Publications & Lectures
- Busenberg, George J. 2013. Oil and Wilderness in Alaska: Natural Resources, Environmental Protection, and National Policy Dynamics. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Busenberg, George J. 2011. The Policy Dynamics of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System. Review of Policy Research 28(5): 401-422.
- Busenberg, George J. 2010. Collaboration, Citizen Participation and Environmental Protection in the Marine Oil Trade of Alaska. In Dorothy Norris-Tirell and Joy A. Clay, eds., Strategic Collaboration in Public and Nonprofit Administration: A Practice-Based Approach to Solving Shared Problems. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis Group CRC Press.
- Busenberg, George J. 2008. Managing the Hazard of Marine Oil Pollution in Alaska. Review of Policy Research 25(3): 203-218.
- Busenberg, George J. 2007. Citizen Participation and Collaborative Environmental Management in the Marine Oil Trade of Coastal Alaska. Coastal Management 35: 239-253.
- Busenberg, George J. 2004. Adaptive Policy Design for the Management of Wildfire Hazards. American Behavioral Scientist 48(3): 314-326.
- Busenberg, George J. 2004. Wildfire Management in the United States: The Evolution of a Policy Failure. Review of Policy Research 21(2): 145-156.
- Busenberg, George J. 2001. Learning in Organizations and Public Policy.
Journal of Public Policy 21(2): 173-189.
- Busenberg, George J. 2000. Resources, Political Support, and Citizen Participation in Environmental Policy: A Reexamination of Conventional Wisdom. Society & Natural Resources 13: 579-587.
- Busenberg, George J. 2000. Innovation, Learning, and Policy Evolution in Hazardous Systems.
American Behavioral Scientist 44(4): 679-691.
- Lynn, Frances M., Busenberg, George J., Cohen, Nevin, and Caron Chess. 2000. Chemical Industry's Community Advisory Panels: What Has Been Their Impact?
Environmental Science & Technology 34(10): 1881-1886.
- Busenberg, George J. 1999. Collaborative and Adversarial Analysis in Environmental Policy.
Policy Sciences 32: 1-11.
- Busenberg, George J. 1999. The Evolution of Vigilance: Disasters, Sentinels and Policy Change. Environmental Politics 8(4): 90-109.
- Lynn, Frances M., and George J. Busenberg. 1995. Citizen Advisory Committees and Environmental Policy: What We Know, What's Left to Discover. Risk Analysis 15(2): 147-162.
Courses Taught at SUA
- Environmental Management
- Nature and Humanity
- Environmental Policy
- Modes of Inquiry
- Learning Cluster: Disasters and Emergency Management
- Environmental Law
- International and Comparative Environmental Policy
- Learning Cluster: Protecting Natural Areas
Selected Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Award, School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver, 2005