%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="System.Web.UI.Page" %>
Hiroshi Matsumoto, PhDAssociate Professor of Japanese Language and Culture
- Ph.D., University of Washington; Second language acquisition research and Japanese linguistics
- M.Ed., University of Washington; Teaching English as a second language
- B.A., Kyoto University, Japan; Applied linguistics
- At SUA since 2005
- 2003-2005 Assistant Professor of Japanese and Second Language Acquisition, San Francisco State University
- 2002-2003 Japanese Instructor, University of Oregon
- 1997-2002 Japanese linguist, Private sector (computational linguistics; natural language processing)
- 1993-1997 Assistant professor of Japanese, Oregon State University
- Student's perceptions of teacher talk in Japanese (as a second) language classes
- Analyses of (spoken and written) learner language among American university students studying Japanese (as a second) language
- Japanese (as a second) language acquisition in study abroad context
Selected Papers, Publications & Lectures
- A Study of Learner Language among American University Students Studying Japanese (as a Second ) Language. Modern Language Journal. (2009, forthcoming)
- Students' Perceptions about Teacher Talk in Japanese (as a Second) Language Classes, Journal of Language, Culture and Curriculum. (2009, forthcoming)
- Efforts toward Innovative Japanese-Language Education that Aims to Foster Cultural Understanding among American University Students. 7th Nihongo Kyouiku Gakkai Jissen Kenkyu Forum Houkoku. 2009.
- Editorial (as the main editor), Second Language Acquisition and Pedagogy, Special Issue of Academic Exchange Quarterly, 12(3), 2008. (This edition aimed to explore cutting-edged knowledge on second language acquisition and pedagogy)
- A Study of Learner Language among American University Studying Japanese (as a Second) Language: Focusing on the Description, Explanation, and Evaluation of Errors and Other Idiosyncratic Features. Proceedings of Princeton Japanese Language Forum, 2008.
- Peak Learning Experiences and Language Learning: A Study of American Learners of Japanese. Journal of Language, Culture and Curriculum, 20(3), 2007.
- Student's Perceptions about Japanese Teacher Talk. Approaches to Language (Special Issue of Academic Exchange Quarterly), 11(1), 2007.
- Aiming at Sudy Abroad for All American Undergraduate Students: Insights from a Survey Study about Motivational Factors in Japanese (as a Second) Language Acquisition. Journal of Japanese Language Education Methods. 14(1), 2007.
- Triangulated Studies on Teacher Talk and Student Comprehension in Japanese (as a Second/Foreign) Language Classrooms at American Colleges and Universities. Journal of Japanese Language Education Methods, 13(1), 2006.
- Book Review of Mackey, A., & Gass, S. M. (Eds.) Second Language Research: Methodology and Design. Mahway, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. The Linguist, January, 2006.
- Peak Learning Experiences in Foreign Language Learning: Insights for Classroom Teaching. Proceedings of the International Academy of Linguistics, Behavioral and Social Sciences Annual Meeting, 2005.
- The Relationship between Various Types of Teacher's Language and Comprehension in the Acquisition of Intermediate Japanese, University Press of America (this book is about Japanese as a second language acquisition and pedagogy, focusing on the issues of teacher talk; more information available at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/ using the book or author name search), 1998.
- Considering Teacher Talk based on the Results of Various Experiments regarding the Relationship between Teacher Speech and Comprehension among Students. Studies in English Language Teaching (SELT), 19, 1996.
- "Experimental Research in Japanese Acquisition: Focusing on its Research and Implications to Classroom Teaching," Invited Lecture for Japanese Teaching Assistants and Faculty, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, May 30, 1995.
- An Experiment about the Retention and Acquisition of Meaning concerning the Bilingual Method -- Based on Insights from Other Experiments Conducted in the United Kingdom and Japan. Studies in English Language Teaching (SELT), 15, 1991.
Courses Taught at SUA
- Learning Cluster 200/300 (Exploration of Japanese Linguistics)
- Learning Cluster 200/300 (Second Language Acquisition and Pedagogy: I & II)
- JPN 312 (Advanced Reading and Writing in Japanese)
- JPN 306 (Intermediate Japanese Conversation)
- JPN 401 (Cultural History of Japan)
Selected Honors & Awards
- Pacific Basin Research Center (PBRC) Summer Research Grants, Soka University of America, Research Proposal "The Effects of Study Abroad Experiences among American College and University Students Studying in Japan" selected for the research funding, 2006
- Research travel award, College of Humanities, San Francisco State University, 2005
- Research travel award, College of Humanities, San Francisco State University, 2004
- Gordon C. Lee Dissertation Award (best-Dissertation-of-the-year award in the field of language acquisition and education), University of Washington, 1994