%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="System.Web.UI.Page" %>
- Ph.D., University of Sheffield, UK
- B.A., Sophia University, Tokyo
- At SUA since 2005
- 2000 - 2005 Professor and Chair of Asian Studies, San Diego State University
- 1995 - 2000 Reader, University of Sheffield
- 1989 - 1994 Senior Lecturer, University of Sheffield
- 1984 - 1988 Lecturer, University of Sheffield
- Eugenics and Social Policy in Modern Japan
- Global Migration
- Minority Rights in Japan
Selected Papers, Publications & Lectures
- Origins of the Korean Community in Japan, Humanities Press, 1990
- The Internationalization of Japan, Routledge, 1993
- Race and Migration in Imperial Japan, Routledge, 1994
- Japan's Minorities; the illusion of homogeneity, Routledge , 1997
- Race, Ethnicity and Migration in Modern Japan (3 volumes), Routledge, 2005
- "Discourses of Race and Nation in Pre-1945 Japan," Ethnic and Racial Studies, Vol. 18, No 3, July 1995, pp 433-56.
- "Out of the Very Stone; Korean hibakusha," Immigrants and Minorities, Vol. 14, No 1, April 1995, pp 2-25.
- "The Comintern in East Asia," in K McDermott and J Agnew, The Comintern and International Communism, 1919-1943, Macmillan, 1996, pp. 158-190.
- "Destination Japan: Migration in the twentieth century," specially commissioned article for the inaugural issue of Pan-Japan; The International Journal of the Japanese Diaspora, Spring, 2000, pp. 49-74.
- "Japan in the Age of Migration," in M. Douglass and G. Roberts, eds., Japan and Global Migration: Foreign workers and the advent of a multicultural society, Routledge, 2003, pp. 52-70
Courses Taught at SUA
- The Emergence of Modern Japan
- Intro to Pacific Basin
Selected Honors & Awards
- Reischauer Fellowship, Harvard University, 1991-1992
- ESRC Fellow, 1997-2000
- Managing Editor, Japan Forum 1995-2000
- Director, Japan Studies Institute, 2000-2005