Facilities and Operations
The Facility Services Management Team is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of the Soka University of America campus. The Facility Services staff provides a number of services, including electrical, Fire and Life Safety, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/R), plumbing, painting, carpentry, general repairs, preventive maintenance, lock services, mailroom services, custodial, CBORD OneCard systems, vending services, signage, shipping and receiving, pest control, waste management and recycling.
- Maintain the secondary electrical system (High voltage primary by Southern California Edison).
- Maintain breaker panels in academic buildings, student dorms and resident halls.
- Operate and maintain emergency generators.
- Provide new installations such as outlets and electrical fixtures.
- Support of campus special events to include power supply, floodlights and standby electricians.
- Maintain power distribution auxiliaries (i.e. transformers, service entry sections).
- Address electrical problems, which affect the feeding of electricity to departmentally operated electrical equipment (i.e., ovens, garbage disposals, kitchen equipment, task lighting, etc.).
- Manage and Operate the Fire and Life Safety Systems.
- Maintain and repair the CCTV Systems
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) Services:
- Central Plant Operations for comfort cooling
- Replace air conditioning filters.
- Perform preventive maintenance on HVAC related equipment.
- Control airflow distribution, temperature analysis and balancing.
- Repair and replace air handlers, exhaust fans and hoods.
- Maintain compressors and vacuum pumps integral to the building operating system.
- Maintain and repair evaporative coolers and air conditioning equipment.
- Repair “constant temperature rooms”, such as technology rooms.
- Maintain and repair of all kitchen service equipment.
Maintain equipment including but not limited to:
- Water fountains
- Ice makers
- Stoves and ovens
- Glass washers
- Other sterilizers
- Maintain all plumbing (pipes and fixtures) integral to the building operating system.
- Maintain plumbing components such as tanks, valves, traps, exchangers and water heaters.
- Maintain laboratory drains and fixtures.
- Maintain plumbing services to appliances.
- Perform plumbing associated with remodels or renovations.
- Perform minor construction.
- Install new equipment.
- Repair plumbing problems related to departmental equipment.
- Replace plumbing systems, fixtures and water heaters.
- Repair and replacement of fixtures, supply and discharge lines for laboratory gases and compressed air, troubleshooting for elimination of gas odors is included in this service.
- Dry walling, texturing and painting associated with remodels or renovations.
- Change color of walls, trim, cabinets and doors.
- Touch up and repair small areas.
- Repair existing doors, door stops, and hinges.
- Repair and maintain interior and exterior tile surfaces.
- Repair/replace acoustical tiles in ceilings.
- Repair torn carpeting.
- Repair Venetian blinds.
- Repair molding, baseboards, and weather stripping.
- Replacement of handrails.
- Repair of counter tops.
- Lights out.
- Sticking doors.
- Too hot/cold room temperature.
- Check odors (i.e. gas, fire, electrical, etc.).
- Replace and service fire extinguisher.
- Lock repairs
- New or duplicate keys.
- New or duplicate access cards.
- Maintain and program access privileges to all office and classroom space.
- Adjusting door closures.
- Lock changes or new installations.
- Key duplication for file cabinets.
- Mechanical or electrical access systems.
- Mailroom Services department phone number: 480-4200.
- Service window hours Monday thru Friday 9am to 3:30pm.
- Holiday and vacation period schedule is 12:30 to 3:30pm.
- Daily drop off of mail to local post office.
- Sort incoming mail and distribute to student’s mailboxes and faculty buildings mail slots.
- Provide interoffice mail pick-up and delivery.
- No mailroom services or deliveries will be provided on the weekend.
- The mailroom staff will supply faculty buildings with mail supplies for USPS and additional carriers.
- The mailroom staff will be responsible for receiving packages from various carriers in the mailroom and loading dock, ensuring documentation and delivery to proper personnel.
- The mailroom staff will inventory and deliver copy/fax paper and toners to the copy rooms.
- Please call the Help Line Service Desk at 480-4099 for service, emergencies or special events.
- For further information on routine cleaning schedules, type of cleaning, frequencies and time factors, etc., please contact the Custodial Services department at 480-4097.
- Routine cleaning services are provided for the academic, administrative and housing buildings.
- The Custodial Services Department operates two shifts, Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 1:00am and a weekend night shift 6pm to 2am for facility coverage which operate on a seven day week basis. Holiday coverage is limited to buildings which remain open and in regular use and is provided during the night shift 6pm to 2am.
See Services provided below:
- Restroom cleaning.
- Vacuum carpeting.
- Shampoo carpeting.
- Empty waste baskets.
- Dust mopping floors.
- Wet mopping floors.
- Waxing floors.
- Cleaning walkway grounds.
- Removal of white paper and mixed paper used for recycling.
- Set-ups for special events.
- Clean up after special events.
- Request outside of normal service times.
CBORD OneCard Systems:
- Operate and service the ID station.
- Maintain and service the Card Value Centers.
- Support the Micros Server and its Point of Sale attachments.
- Service and maintain the Lyric P.O.S. and attachments in the Mailroom and Bookstore.
- Produce CBORD reports through Odyssey for Soka University.
- Maintain the laundry controllers and all connected washers and dryers.
- Maintain the Debitek copier equipment.
- Address all vending issues with various vending companies.
- Research, purchase, and install additional CBORD equipment as needed.
- Restocking of vending machines.
- Inventory control.
- Repair services.
- Address all vending issues with various vending companies.
- Contact the Help Line Service Desk at 480-4099 for machine malfunctions or service.
- Office personnel signage.
- Campus identification signs.
Shipping & Receiving Services:
- Forklift services.
- Pallet jack services.
- Loading and unloading of delivery trucks.
- Receiving delivery of shipments and contacting appropriate personnel.
- Assure proper receiving documentation.
- Inspecting for damaged goods prior to unloading or accepting shipment.
Pest Control Services:
- Pest control service is performed on a contract schedule. All special complaints or needs for additional services should be called into the Help Line Service Desk at 480-4099.
- Pest control services covers ants, cockroaches, carpet beetles, mice, water beetles, bees, earwigs, crickets, wasps, centipedes, black widow spiders, bedbugs, silverfish, clover mites, bird mites, millipedes, sow bugs, scorpions, rats, moths, spiders and termites.
Waste Management Services:
- Campus-wide solid waste.
- Trash compactors.
- Drop-off bins.
- Waste enclosures.
- Pitch-in litter containers.
- Additional trash containers for special events.
- Please note appropriate recycling receptacles placed around the campus and within the campus buildings.
- The Student Services building is equipped with a cardboard bailer at the loading dock for bailing cardboard.
The custodial staff collect the following items for recycling:
- Mixed paper
- White paper
- Aluminum cans
- Plastic bottles