Residence Hall Coordinator
Date Posted: 04/21/2010
Soka University of America is seeking a Residence Hall Coordinator. Under the general supervision of the Director of Residential Life and Student Activities, the Residence Hall Coordinator directly oversees the implementation of a comprehensive residence hall program that meets the goals of the Office of Residential Life and Soka University of America, Aliso Viejo.
The Coordinator will manage the effective general administrative operation of up to two residence halls totaling approximately 100 residents. The Coordinator will serve as one of four full time administrative live-in Residence Life positions and shall be responsible for helping to build and support a community that allows a diverse group of residents to grow and develop individually and collectively. Using the Residential Life co-curricular model, the Coordinator will assess the residential community, develop educational programs which integrate academic learning and student development, and implement and evaluate programs. The Coordinator will oversee the day-to-day operation of the hall office including nights and weekends; assist in student placement; plan and facilitate student staff selection and assist in the training process; oversee the daily work of the paraprofessional staff; supervise desk coverage on nights and weekends; perform crisis intervention, counseling and advising; address conduct issues and provide leadership. The Coordinator will administrate and monitor assigned budget.
Auxiliary Responsibilities: Coordinate one or more facets of residential life growth and development which may include: creation, revision and/or maintenance of manuals, coordination of student staff development projects, and researching current issues relevant to higher education.
Candidates should have:
- Master's degree in a related field
- Minimum of one year of university/ college housing experience or two years recent professional experience in a student services area
- Experience coordinating or directing collegiate level activities (preferably involving residential life aspects); two or more years as a live-in professional in residential life preferred
- General knowledge of student development theories, housing management, needs assessment, programming, conflict resolution, group dynamics and needs, and current issues and trends in higher education; multicultural issues and relevant legal issues.
- Experience in supervising and training.
- Experience in leadership development and advising student groups.
- Proven experience in providing counseling, referrals, and crisis management.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management and management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups.
- High proficiency in personal computer systems utilizing databases, word processing, graphics, spreadsheets, to include MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and other Microsoft applications.
- Commitment to mutual respect, service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers excellent benefits. Also included for this position is a rent-free furnished 2 bedroom apartment and a full meal plan (while school is in session). The contract begins July 15, 2010. Review of applications will begin April 26 and will continue until position is filled. Employment is contingent on criminal background investigation pursuant to Public Act 88-629.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references to:Human Resources Re: Residence Hall Coordinator Soka University of America 1 University Drive Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 E-mail: email@example.com
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.