Assistant Residence Hall Coordinator - Short Term Position (closed)
Date Posted: 05/06/2014
Soka University of America is seeking an Assistant Residence Hall Coordinator. Under the general supervision of the Director of Residential Life and Student Activities, the Assistant Residence Hall Coordinator oversees the implementation of a comprehensive residence hall program that meets the goals of the Office of Residential Life and Soka University of America, Aliso Viejo.
The Assistant Coordinator will manage the effective general administrative operation of up to two residence halls with a population of approximately 100 residents. This short term Assistant Coordinator position will serve as one of two full time administrative live-in Residence Life positions and shall be responsible for helping to build and support a community that allows a diverse group of residents to grow and develop individually and collectively. Using the Residential Life co-curricular model, the Assistant Coordinator will assess the residential community, develop educational programs which integrate academic learning and student development, and implement and evaluate programs. The Assistant Coordinator will oversee the day-to-day operation of the hall office including nights and weekends; assist in the paraprofessional training process; oversee the daily work of the paraprofessional staff; supervise desk coverage on nights and weekends; perform crisis intervention, counseling and advising; address conduct issues and provide leadership. The Assistant Coordinator will work closely with Residential Life professional staff in fulfilling their duties.
Auxiliary Responsibilities: Coordinate one or more facets of residential life growth and development which may include: creation, revision and/or maintenance of manuals, coordination of student staff development projects, and researching current issues relevant to higher education.
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of one year of university/college housing experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups.
- Commitment to mutual respect, service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management and management skills.
- High proficiency in personal computer systems utilizing databases, word processing, graphics, spreadsheets, to include MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and other Microsoft applications.
Candidates should have:
- Experience coordinating collegiate level activities (preferably involving residential life aspects.)
- General knowledge of student development theories, housing management, needs assessment, programming, conflict resolution, group dynamics and needs, and current issues and trends in higher education; multicultural issues and relevant legal issues.
- Experience in supervising and training preferred.
- Experience in leadership development and advising student groups.
- Experience in providing counseling, referrals, and crisis management.
Included for this position is a rent-free furnished suite and a full meal plan. The position will pay $10,000 with the contract beginning July 16, 2014 and ending December 14, 2014. Employment is contingent on criminal background investigation pursuant to Public Act 88-629.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references to:Katherine King, Human Resources Director Re: Assistant Residence Hall Coordinator- Short Term Soka University of America 1 University Drive Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-4105 firstname.lastname@example.org
Soka University is an equal opportunity employer.