Chemical Hygiene Officer (closed)
Date Posted: 7/20/2014
Soka University of America seeks a Chemical Hygiene Officer. Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the Chemical Hygiene Officer will oversee the campus laboratory safety program, including safety inspections and chemical inventories. The Chemical Hygiene Officer will design, deliver, and coordinate lab safety and hazardous waste training; maintain records of all safety training and inspections. Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures and other safety policies. Consult and provide guidance, explain and enforce the Chemical Health Plan and work with faculty and staff to monitor safety procurement, use, and disposal of chemicals. Advise faculty, staff, and administration on issues concerning adequate procedures and regulatory compliance; assist the Director of Environmental Health and Safety with hazardous waste management, including inspections. Inform laboratory supervisors of chemical-related health and safety requirements and assist with the selection of appropriate safety controls, including engineering controls, laboratory and other workplace practices and procedures, training, and personal protective equipment; Help to develop and implement appropriate chemical hygiene policies and practices. Conduct periodic inspections and immediately take steps to abate hazards that may pose a risk to life or safety upon discovery of such hazards; Perform hazard assessments, upon request; Perform other functions as needed and identified in support of other Environmental Health and Safety programs and additional related duties as assigned.
Candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences, safety or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Three years of professional experience including overseeing laboratory safety
- In-depth knowledge and expertise in chemistry and biology
- Proven oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws, regulations, codes, and guidelines as related to chemical safety
- Ability to obtain Chemical Hygiene Officer and other appropriate certifications.
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office systems including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and relational databases
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff and community constituents
- Ability to wear and use appropriate protective equipment as necessary
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers a competitive benefits package.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled. To apply send letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references to: Human Resources, Re: Chemical Hygiene Officer position, Soka University of America, 1 University Drive, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 or E-mail: email@example.com
For more information, please see our website at www.soka.edu
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.