Patrol OfficerDate Posted: 2/6/17
Soka University of America is seeking a full time Patrol Officer who will be responsible for patrolling campus by motor vehicle, by foot, and/or by bicycle providing protection of life and property. The Patrol officer will keep the peace, conduct investigations, submit reports, enforce parking laws, respond to medical emergencies, and illness calls. The Patrol Officer will give directions and assistance to faculty, staff, students and visitors, and perform any other duties as needed or assigned to accomplish the mission of the Security Area.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing motor vehicle and foot patrol of campus roadways, walkways, parking lots, academic buildings, and residential areas. May provide patrol by bicycle. Responding to calls issued via radio and telephone dispatch. Ensuring department activity log is updated accurately and in a timely manner.
- Providing for the protection of life and property. Observing safety hazards and reporting them to the proper persons for correction. Ensuring buildings are locked and secure as appropriate and responding to building alarms.
- Making recommendations, when appropriate, which reduce or eliminate conditions which lend themselves to unsafe conditions or expose University and personal property to theft or damage.
- Conducting investigations of reported crimes and other incidents occurring within the jurisdictional boundaries of the University and submitting reports regarding those investigations.
- Responding to requests for emergency and routine medical assistance as required. Determining medical needs, administer first aid as necessary, and summon additional medical assistance as required.
- Giving directions, providing assistance to students, staff, faculty and visitors as requested and when appropriate. Direct traffic as necessary.
- Enforcing parking regulations in parking lots and in other areas as necessary and required. Ensuring that abandoned or illegally parked vehicles are impounded. Issuing parking permits and bicycle licenses.
- Investigating traffic accidents within the jurisdictional boundaries of the University, preparing accident reports, and enforcing laws and regulations per California Vehicle Code.
- Conducting safety training for students including fire drills, evacuation procedures, and disaster preparedness.
- Writing reports and preparing cases for prosecution. Testifying in courts as required.
- May be required to exercise the powers of arrest only while on duty with the Security Area and while performing authorized assignments defined as the enforcement of all parking regulations on all properties and facilities owned, operated and/or controlled by Soka University, within the city of Aliso Viejo and in accordance with the current Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Aliso Viejo.
- Performing other duties and functions as appropriate to the job classification.
- High School diploma or equivalent and some college work completed and/or a minimum of three (3) years of safety and security work experience and dealing with the public in a customer service capacity.
- Some higher education experience preferred.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws and regulations as applicable to public safety functions.
- Accurate report writing skills including the proper use of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Legible handwriting such that all logs and reports can be easily read by others.
- Ability to work with and serve a diverse groups of people.
- Current First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
- Current BSIS Guard Card Certification.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a helpful, effective and professional manner in person, by telephone and by two-way radio.
- Ability to prepare criminal cases for prosecution and to effectively testify in court.
- Skills in the operation of a motor vehicle under emergency and other Public Safety related conditions.
- Ability to conduct safety training.
- Knowledge of City laws and regulations and University policies as applicable to public safety functions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional stance in all emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability in the application of first aid and emergency medical “first responder” skills.
- Knowledge of campus buildings, roadways, parking lots, fire and intrusion alarm systems and keys.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers a competitive benefits package. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply send a letter of interest, resume, salary history/requirements and three professional references to:
Re: Patrol Officer
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656