Date Posted: 2/6/17
Soka University of America is seeking a full time Patrol Sergeant who will be responsible for the direct field supervision and evaluation of campus patrol officers; providing necessary support for improvement, patrolling campus and Soka owned property; approving written reports of officers assigned to their shift: ensuring that all equipment is accounted for at the beginning and end of their shift, notification of appropriate personnel during emergency situations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responding to calls for assistance, emergency and non-emergency and providing customer service to students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Directly supervising all staff assigned to division.
- Planning, implementing and directing programs, projects and activities for safety and security.
- Maintaining, understanding and ensuring division compliance with current university and departmental policies and procedures with all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Serving as an informational resource for the university community and the general public concerning programs/projects.
- Overseeing inspection, maintaining repair and replacement of all facility equipment. Overseeing inventory control, records and reports.
- Developing and implementing security related procedures such as office opening and closing routines. Ensuring dissemination of security related information to staff.
- Investigating traffic accidents, prepare accident reports, and enforce laws and regulations per California Vehicle Code.
- Impounding abandoned or illegally parked vehicles.
- Making arrests of persons suspected of committing crimes or other unlawful acts.
- Preparing cases for prosecution.
- Testifying in court.
- Performing other duties and functions as appropriate to the job classification.
Candidates should have:
- High School diploma or equivalent and some college work completed and/or a minimum of five (5) years of safety and security work experience and dealing with the public in a customer service capacity.
- Some higher education experience preferred.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws and regulations as applicable to safety and security functions
- Accurate report writing skills including the proper use of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Legible handwriting such that all logs and reports can be easily read by others.
- Ability to work with and serve a diverse groups of people.
- Current First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
- Current BSIS Guard Card Certification
- Ability to demonstrate a professional stance in all emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a helpful, effective and professional manner in person, by telephone and by two-way radio.
- Ability to prepare criminal cases for prosecution and to effectively testify in court.
- Skills in the operation of a motor vehicle under emergency and other safety and security related conditions.
- Ability to conduct safety training.
- Knowledge of city laws and regulations and University policies as applicable to the safety and security function.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare criminal cases for prosecution and to effectively testify in court.
- Demonstrated ability in the application of first aid and emergency medical “first responder” skills.
- Knowledge of campus buildings, roadways, parking lots, fire and intrusion alarm systems and keys.
Shifts for this position are: 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, and 10pm-6am.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers a competitive benefits package. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply send a letter of interest, resume, salary history/requirements and three professional references to:Human Resources
Re: Patrol Sergeant
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656