%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="System.Web.UI.Page" %>
Head Coach, Track & Field and Cross Country
Date Posted: 11/20/09
This position is a full-time, exempt, contract position. Under the general supervision of the Director of Athletics and Recreation, the Head Coach directly oversees all phases of the development, management, and maintenance of the intercollegiate athletics programs for both men and women in the sports of track and field (outdoor and indoor) and cross country at Soka University of America.
Primary job duties include, but are not limited to:
- All aspects of a competitive intercollegiate athletics programs in cross country, and track & field for both men and women's
- Recruit athletically and academically competent students to the University to compete on these teams
- Coach student-athletes to permit them to reach their maximum potential in all phases of preparation and competition including event specialties, strength and conditioning, mental preparedness, etc.
- Maintain a high level of discipline for the student-athletes on these teams as a condition of representing the University and participation in collegiate competition
- Operate within the confines of NAIA bylaws for recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, competition and others as applicable to NAIA
- Recruit, train and maintain assistant coaches with expertise in areas such as the throws, horizontal or vertical jumps, sprints, distances, cardio and strength training, etc.
- Prepare and apply appropriate practice plans
- Prepare and arrange appropriate regionally-based competition schedules
- Prepare all aspects of post-season competition
- Prepare, budget, purchase and maintain (as proscribed by institutional accounting and purchasing policy) all fiscal aspects of equipment, uniforms, travel, and recruiting
- Participate in community outreach programs and public speaking on behalf of the institution
- Work with SUA staff on administrative issues involving student-athletes and intercollegiate athletics; these include admissions, financial aid, semester abroad, purchasing, etc.
Additional responsibilities include:
- A Bachelor's degree and a preferred advanced degree from an accredited institution
- Recent professional experience in coaching at the collegiate level or beyond
- Success in the recruitment and retention of student-athletes
- A clear record of success and commitment to the academic progress of their student-athletes
- Experience in the hiring, training and supervising of assistant coaches
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of students and staff
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and leadership skills
- High proficiency in personal computer systems utilizing databases, word processing, graphics, and spreadsheets
- NAIA, USATF and/or Coaches Associations memberships
- CPR and First Aid certification
To apply, send resume and three professional references to:
Head Coach Position
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
Phone: (949) 480-4168
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.