%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="System.Web.UI.Page" %>
Part-Time Library Assistant (Acquisition and Cataloging)
Date Posted: 06/21/2013
The Ikeda Library at Soka University of America is seeking a Part-Time Library Assistant. This is a paraprofessional position under the supervision of the Library Director. The assistant will perform various functions supporting the day-to-day operations of the library. Duties will include but will not be limited to tasks related to acquisition, copy cataloging, and circulation.
This position will include some weeknight and/or weekend hours.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to work accurately with a high level of efficiency.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills in English.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to the public with tact, courtesy, and an attitude of “going the extra mile.” This includes the capacity for developing and sustaining effective relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the local community.
- Understanding and sensitivity regarding diversity, cultural traditions, language barriers, and multicultural matters.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team in collaboration with other staff members in the department.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple priorities. Ability to organize time and schedule efficiently.
- Flexibility in adapting to a rapidly changing and growing environment.
- Regular exercise of independent judgment, creativity, and initiative to surpass goals.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- High ethical and professional standards.
- High proficiency in personal computer systems utilizing Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of and experience with MARC records and copy cataloging.
- AA Degree or equivalent combination of education as well as library experience. Bachelor’s preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with the library integrated system, Innovative Interfaces.
- Working knowledge of library practices and principles in an academic library environment.
- An understanding of and commitment to nationally-accepted standards and tools.
- Ability to read and write a foreign language(s) is a plus.
The hiring rate is contingent upon the applicant’s qualifications and on departmental equity. The application deadline is July 8, 2013. Applications for this position should include a letter of interest, resume, salary history, and three professional references.
Applications should be sent to:
Re: Library Assistant
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.