House Manager - Part-Time position (closed)
Date Posted: 07/18/2014
Soka University of America is seeking a part-time House Manager to support all front-of-house activities related to Patron Services in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) and Black Box Theatre venues. The House Manager oversees any and all activities related to running the actual events, and is simultaneously responsible for the supervision of all front-of-house staff including volunteers supporting the same. This position reports directly to the Patron Services Manager but also works closely and directly with the entire General Management and Technical Services teams. Experience in theater management, event coordination, and the ability to provide superior customer service while keeping a cool and pleasant demeanor under pressure, are the qualities necessary for success.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Patron Services Manager in planning all front-of-house activities related to the events conducted in the PAC and Black Box Theatre;
- Assist in recruiting, scheduling, managing, motivating and encouraging all front of the house staff;
- Maintain paid-staff event-attendance notes for the verification of payroll;
- Maintenance of the online volunteer management system (Volgistics) and communications with approximately 150-200 community Volunteer Ushers;
- Provide ongoing evaluation of front-of-house procedures to facilitate continual process improvement;
- Achieve strong familiarity of the in-house ticketing system so as to support patron services.
- Coordinate set-up of the Box Office, Lobby and audience-related areas for each event;
- Supervision of all front of the house staff and sub-teams (Box Office, Scanner, Volunteer Ushers, Hospitality) supporting an event;
- Oversee the safety and seating of up to 1,000 patrons/guests at a time for events;
- Oversee and support any merchandise sales and “Meet the Artist” activities during Events;
- Oversight and reporting of any safety-related and emergency issues;
- Serving as last person out to secure the theater at the end of events;
- Complete and submit a detailed House Manager’s Report for each event;
- Maintain excellent communication-flow between all front-of-house staff, sub-teams, and with the Technical Services team during events.
- Ability to be flexible and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to operate two-way radios with appropriate radio etiquette
- Excellent competency with the MS Office suite, including Outlook
- Quick and conscientious response to email/text/phone communications
The primary function of this position is to directly support a confirmed 12-month calendar of events that is subject to change. Event-shifts range from 4 to 8 hours with mostly evening and weekend shifts, while Administrative hours are flexible at the approval of the Patron Services Manager. The House Manager is required to work the entire event schedule, with reasonable adjustments by prior arrangement. Hourly rate will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled. To apply send letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references to:Human Resources Re: House Manager position Soka University of America 1 University Drive, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 or E-mail: email@example.com
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.