How do I apply for an on-campus job?
All on-campus jobs, off-campus jobs, and internships will be posted on College Central. To access College Central, use the quick link on Portal. The list will be vast and will include jobs and internships for off campus as well. To narrow your search for on campus jobs only, type OCSE (On Campus Student Employment) on View Jobs by Keyword. This database is accessible to any undergraduate student, graduate student, or enrolled degree-seeking student at Soka University of America.

How many on-campus jobs can I have?
Students are limited to having one on-campus job during the academic school year. The only exception to this rule is if students work as a tour guide. However, in the summer, students are allowed to work as many on-campus jobs as they are available.

How many hours a week can I work?
Students are limited to 20 hours a work during the academic school year; however, the limit increases to 40 hours a week when school is not in session. It's important to note that the amount of hours students can work per week is also dependent on the type of job they have. The availability of hours will depend on the budget of each area.

I don't have any experience with working. What should I put on my resume? Will I be considered if I don't have experience?
There are many students who have never worked prior to having an on-campus job at Soka University. Employers understand many students come from diverse backgrounds with varying levels of experiences; therefore, it's okay if your resume isn't the most impressive. Many employers take into consideration the types of extracurricular activities students were/are involved in and prospective goals for the student. Having an on-campus job is a great way for student's to build experience and explore different career fields.

I want to work off-campus but I don't have a car and/or license. What do I do?
Soka provides free transportation within a 5 mile radius from 9:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle departs every 30 minutes and can travel a bit ways further than a 5 mile radius if a special request is filled out beforehand. The special request form can be found here.

What is the difference between work study and non-work study?
Work Study is a part of the Federal Work Study program and is awarded as part of your financial aid package. This means that your payment is partially funded with federal money.

I've never created a resume before and I don't know how to. How can I get assistance?
There are resume and cover letter examples that can be found through portal. This is the standard resume format the university uses. If you need help with creating a resume contact Robyn Dizes, Manager of Career Services, at rdizes@soka.edu or Vanessa Rubinfeld, Career Counselor at vrubinfeld@soka.edu

Do I just need to turn in a resume when I apply for on-campus jobs?
All applications require a resume and a student employment application form. This form gets stapled on top of your resume. You can find this document by logging onto portal and clicking Areas --> Human Resources --> Student Employment. 

Do I need to show my I-9 document? Can I send a copy?
Federal employment regulations require that Form I-9 is completed and original documents have been verified by the employer to establish identity and employment authorization. Please review the list of acceptable documents for the I-9 Employment Verification Form. Scanned images and photocopies are not acceptable. If your documents are at home, you will need to have it sent to you immediately. This will delay your start date.

What if I don’t complete the I-9 form and show documents?
If you are not able to present any of the documents to satisfy Form I-9, you are not permitted to work. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
I don’t have a social security number. What should I do?
In order to get hired and paid, you will need to provide your social security number. Human Resources will provide you with the necessary letters to apply for a Social Security card once you have been offered a job on campus.

Have additional questions? Feel free to reach out to us!
If you have any questions about Student Employment email Jacqueline Chin at jchin@soka.edu or to our general email at studentjobs@soka.edu If you would like to stop by the office, we are located in Founders 314.