Soka University of America
Home  |   Apply  |   Giving  |   Contact Us  |   Directory


James Spady "At Soka, I find students who think in ways that are creative, innovative, and fairly advanced, and I believe it is because they are involved in these interdisciplinary and inquiry-driven programs." More
James Spady
Assistant Professor of American History

AB 540/Undocumented Students

What does it mean to be undocumented?

If you are not a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident and do not currently possess a valid green card, visa, or other legal documentation, you are considered an undocumented immigrant.

Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) which was signed into law on October 12, 2001 authorizes undocumented students who meet specific criteria to pay in-state tuition at California's public colleges and universities (e.g., California Community Colleges, California State University and University of California). AB 540, however, does not guarantee admission, or eligibility for admission to any private college or university.

Soka University of America's academic program requires that every student participates in a mandatory semester abroad to graduate. Unfortunately, an undocumented student would be unable to obtain the proper immigration documentation to complete this requirement. 

Therefore, while Soka University of America does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, age or citizenship SUA is unable to offer admission to undocumented students unless the applicant, after receiving our offer of admission, is willing, to exit the U.S. and apply for the appropriate F-1 (Student) Visa to re-enter the U.S. to attend Soka.  Should a student choose to exercise this option and leave the country, there are potentially serious risks related to re-entry.  It is Soka University's position that it is unethical to allow a student to enroll in a program that he or she cannot complete.

If you are an undocumented student interested in applying for permanent residency in the U.S. we recommend that you contact a licensed immigration attorney.

Back to Top Print this Page