I hope that students approach the class with the perspective that it can change their lives. The class concepts need to be applied in order to make a difference. Knowledge alone rarely changes one’s health. So, in addition to providing health content, the course actively includes personal assessments, reflections, and skill development.
Health & Wellness
Developing the Whole Person
Wellness 100 is a required 2-unit course that includes basic concepts relating to personal health and wellness, and is intended for first-year students at SUA. You will explore physical, mental-emotional, social, spiritual, and environmental dimensions of health, as well as strategies for enhancing your personal health. This class will help you develop the knowledge and specific skill sets to develop a life committed to maintaining your health and fitness. You will learn the value a healthy lifestyle has for being effective in your personal and professional lives.
You will learn to:
- Live, work, and provide leadership in a rapidly changing world
- Think critically and creatively
- Be effective at various modes of expression and communication
- Interact with and appreciate other cultures and traditions
- Take constructive action for a better society
In addition, the course-specific learning outcomes of Wellness include:
- Acquiring health-related knowledge through the use of current, reliable, and valid sources of information.
- Determining their health risks and protective factors through the use of personal assessments and thoughtful reflection.
- Applying health-related concepts, theories, and information to their personal lives.
Topics Typically Explored in This Class
- Health behavior change
- Health effects of stress
- Effectively managing stress
- Mental health
- Health benefits of sleep
- Physical activity
- Nutrition and weight management
- Chronic and communicable diseases
- Reproductive health
- Sexual misconduct
Several skills you will develop throughout the course typically include:
- Making positive changes in health behavior
- Effectively managing time
- Creating healthy strategies for managing stress
- Planning for life after Soka
- Communicating effectively
- Creating an effective physical activity plan
- Avoiding cognitive distortions
- Becoming more optimistic
- Avoiding worrying
- Assessing physical fitness