Become familiar with Soka’s student support services, policies, and procedures.

University Policies

This policy covers all forms of unlawful harassment, discrimination and retaliation prohibited under SUA’s Notice of Nondiscrimination and is intended to comply with the Title IX regulations effective August 14, 2020, and California SB 493 effective January 1, 2022.

Complaints or notice of alleged policy violations, or inquiries about or concerns regarding this policy and procedures, may be made internally to:

Katherine King
Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator for Faculty, Staff and Others

1 University Drive
Founders 100/309
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
(949) 480-4161

Hyon Moon
Title IX and Section 504 Deputy Coordinator for Students

1 University Drive
Library 140/303
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
(949) 480-4139

Read the Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Nondiscrimination Policy (Title IX)

The university does not tolerate sexual harassment or harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, religious creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, status as a disabled veteran, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. All such harassment is unlawful. Prohibited unlawful harassment includes, but is not limited to, the following behavior: 

  1. Verbal conduct such as epithets, derogatory jokes or comments, slurs, or unwanted sexual advances, invitations, or comments
  2. Visual conduct such as derogatory and/or sexually-oriented posters, photography, cartoons, drawings, or gestures
  3. Physical conduct such as assault, unwanted touching, or blocking normal movement because of sex, race, or any other protected basis
  4. Threats and demands to submit to sexual requests and sexual favors
  5. Retaliation for having reported or threatened to report harassment

A written complaint should be sent to the dean of students as soon as possible after an incident. Complaints should include details of the incident or incidents, names of the individuals involved, and names of any witnesses.

Direct and indirect forms of verbal and written abuse, threats, physical harassment, intimidation, or violence against another person or their property, as well as conduct that threatens the health and safety of self (including threats or attempts of suicide), will not be tolerated on the campus. Violations of this policy can result in action by the university and criminal charges. 

California Hazing Law states:

Hazing is any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a student organization or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to such an organization which causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger, physical harm, or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm, to any student or other person attending any college, university, or other educational institution in this state (Education Code, Section 32050).

No student or other person in attendance at any private college … or other educational institution, shall conspire to engage in hazing, participate in hazing, or commit any act that causes or is likely to cause bodily danger, physical harm, or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to any fellow student or person attending the institution. The violation of this section is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine … or imprisonment (Education Code, Section 32051).

Hazing of any kind will not be tolerated. If the university determines that harassment has occurred, effective remedial action will be taken in accordance with the circumstances involved. Those campus citizens responsible for harassment will be referred to the dean of students, and face appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion. 

The university encourages all campus citizens to report any incidents of harassment immediately. 

The Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing investigate and prosecute complaints of prohibited harassment.

Areas Permitted 

Students who are 21 years or older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages within their private residence hall room in Abeona Hall 305, Aurora Hall 310, Horizon Hall 315, Umoja Hall 370, Acjachemen Hall 375, and Somnus Hall 385. 

In a suite where one suitemate is over 21 and the other is under 21, alcohol should only be stored in the individual room of the suitemate who is over 21. 

Areas alcohol is not permitted 

Alcohol is not permitted on designated floors and/or wings of Sunrise Hall 300 and Sunset Hall 380. These areas are designated primarily for First Year and Extended Bridge Students. 

Alcohol is not permitted in common areas within the residence halls including, but not limited to, hallways, balconies, terraces, living rooms, computer rooms, multi-purpose rooms, pantries, multi-faith rooms, public restrooms, laundry rooms, elevators, and entry areas. Also, alcohol is not permitted in public areas outside of the residence halls including walkways, entrances, the green, basketball courts, and parking lots. 


Residents under 21 years of age may not consume, possess, or transport alcoholic beverages anywhere on campus at any time. Residents 21 years and older may consume alcoholic beverages within their residence hall rooms in Abeona Hall 305, Aurora Hall 310, Horizon Hall 315, Umoja Hall 370, Acjachemen Hall 375, and Somnus Hall 385. 

Residents 21 years and older many not consume alcohol in a room when a student under 21 years old is present. Residents who host others in their room are responsible for ensuring that their guests are over 21 when alcohol is present. 

Residents are expected to act responsibly and will be held accountable for any actions while intoxicated and/or actions by their guest if the guest is intoxicated. 


Alcohol in bottles and cans may be transported, possessed, or consumed within student rooms in designated halls/wings. Other alcohol containers, including kegs and party balls (empty, full, or partially full) are strictly prohibited. Empty containers should be properly disposed and/or recycled in the residence hall Refuse Rooms. 


Alcohol may be transported in designated halls only if it is unopened and the original seal is unbroken. Open containers of alcohol may not be transported in any hallways, common areas, or public areas. 


The Residential Life staff shall enforce all California state laws and regulations expressed in this policy. When alleged violations occur, the Residential Life staff reserves the right to approach the individual or group of individuals about the infraction in question. The staff member may pursue one or more of the following courses of action when an infraction occurs: 

  • Ask the individual(s) to dispose of the alcoholic beverage(s) by dumping it (them) out
  • Confiscate all alcoholic beverages 
  • Shut down gatherings of individuals and/or groups
  • In a case of non-residents, ask the individual/group to leave the residence hall
  • Call Campus Security for assistance as necessary
  • An Incident Report will be completed and submitted to the Assistant Director of Student Conduct and Resolution. 

When a community policy is violated, there is an impact whether directly or indirectly upon the community. The enforcement of policy becomes necessary when citizens of the community operate outside of the community’s welfare. 


In addition to any legal actions that local law enforcement may pursue as a result of violation of California State law, SUA may sanction as follows: 

  • Warnings 
  • Community Service or Special Assignment 
  • Educational Assignment 
  • Monetary Fines 
  • Counseling 
  • Parental Notification for students under the age of 21 for a second violation 
  • Exclusion 
  • Probation 
  • Expulsion from the residence halls*

Sanctions served are intended as reminders for residents of their accountability for their actions within the residential community. The guidelines for determining sanctions are based on previous disciplinary records, the nature of the incident and the details surrounding the incident. 

*Depending upon the nature of the violation, the dean of students may impose this sanction immediately.

As a Title IV institution receiving federal aid, the university must comply with federal regulations regarding illegal substances. While California state law permits marijuana possession and use in a private residence for persons 21 years of age and over (SEC. 4.5 Section 11362.2), federal regulations classify marijuana as a controlled substance. As such, the university complies with federal law which prohibits the illegal cultivation, manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance on campus.

No member of the university community shall possess or distribute an illegal drug as defined by federal laws. Such possession, distribution, or use is prohibited in any building or on any property owned or operated by the university. Possession is defined to include any area or property for which the student or employee is responsible.

For SUA students residing on campus, the federal Higher Education Opportunity Act, Section 485(j) requires Soka University to comply with the information and requirements regarding missing students: 

SUA students aged 18 years or older have the option to identify an individual to be contacted by SUA’s Dean of Students office not later than 24 hours after the time circumstances indicate that you, as a student, may be determined missing. If you are a student who is under age 18 and not emancipated, the institution is required to notify the custodial parent or legal guardian. 

The confidential contact is a person designated by the student in addition to the emergency contact listed with the SUA Registrar’s Office. In cases where a confidential contact is not designated, or the confidential contact cannot be reached at the number provided by a student, the emergency contact provided to the SUA registrar will be used. 

You may register a person whom you designate as a confidential contact during the check-in period at the beginning of each academic year by filing a form provided by the Office of Residential Life. You are solely responsible for the accuracy of the information, as well as any update of information regarding your confidential contact. Update of information you provided may be filed with the Dean of Students office during business hours at any time during the semester. 

All SUA officials are required to notify the director of public safety immediately of any suspected missing person, so that an investigation can be initiated. The director of public safety will initiate the Missing Student Report as soon as all means to contact the student have been exhausted. If circumstances of criminality or safety are involved, confidential contact will be notified immediately. The Dean of Students office will initiate the notification to the confidential and/or emergency contact person provided to SUA. Every report of a missing person is very serious and will generate a response and investigation, so it is extremely important for students to inform their friends and family if they expect to be away from campus for a period of time. This will help ensure that energy and resources are applied only to genuine emergencies.

Computer and Network Use

Students are granted access to SUA computing and network resources. Students are expected to understand and abide by the university’s computer policies. The campus computing and network resources are the property of the university. As such, students will be held responsible for the improper use of any or all campus computing and network resources. Misuse of social networking or similar online platforms or applications may also be covered under the student code of conduct. 

Computer and Network Usage Policy

Everyone within the SUA community who uses university computing and network resources has the responsibility to use them in an ethical, professional, and legal manner. This means that users agree to abide by the following terms and conditions: 

  • Privacy rights of other users shall be respected at all times when using SUA computer and network resources.
  • Users recognize that certain data are confidential and must limit their access to such data to uses directly related to the performance of their duties. 
  • SUA computing and network resources are for research, instruction, academic, and administrative purposes. 
  • Users should never share any SUA account credentials or passwords for any reason. 

Access to university computing and network resources may be revoked for reasons including, but not limited to, attacking the security of the system, modifying or divulging private information such as file or email contents of other users without their consent, inappropriate use or sharing of vulgar/offensive materials, unlawful sharing or use of copyrighted materials, modifying or destroying university data, or using the networks in a manner contrary to the established guidelines. Access may be revoked at any time by university system administrators to protect and safeguard university resources and assets. Such revocation may be appealed to a committee appointed by the vice president of administration. Users who abuse computing and network resources will be held accountable and may be subject to disciplinary and/or legal action. 

Software and Content Usage Policy

SUA respects and abides by copyright protections given by federal law to owners of digital content and software. All software and content used on SUA systems must be licensed or otherwise used in a legal manner. Any use of unlicensed software or copyrighted content is strictly prohibited in SUA’s computing and network environment.

Soka University of America is committed to using its resources efficiently and to using technology to enhance communication with campus community members. This policy recognizes the importance of electronic communication to the operation of the university while protecting its students, faculty and staff from unwanted or unsolicited emails. This policy defines the appropriate use, circumstances and procedures for sending a campus-wide email to a distribution list such as “all students,” “all faculty,” and “all staff.”

Campus-wide email distribution lists should be used when distributing official information for the university and the official groups that represent it. Notices, announcements, or reminders that are not applicable to every recipient on these lists should not be sent using the distribution lists. The latter are better suited to be distributed via the university’s portal or Sokannect for students. Distribution lists shall not be used as a public forum (political, personal or religious commentary), solicitation, chain letters, forwards, or social discussion of an individual, group, or idea. All announcements sent via a list shall adhere to all relevant university policies including but not limited to non-harassment policy, cyber bullying policy, and Student Code of Conduct. Any violation of this policy will lead to appropriate sanctions and resolution from Human Resources or Office of Student Code of Conduct and Resolution.

To prevent university constituents from receiving unsolicited email messages, campus-wide email distribution lists are moderated lists. For campus-wide distribution of official university-related emails and announcements, please submit any proposed email/announcement to the following individuals for review and distribution to their respective campus constituencies.

To send email to faculty:

  • Submit to Dean of Faculty Michael Weiner for email to undergraduate faculty
  • Submit to Dean of the Graduate School Tomoko Takahashi for email to graduate faculty

To send email to students:

  • Submit to SSU EC if you are a class senate, club senate, student club, or other approved SSU organization
  • Submit to Dean of Students Hyon Moon if you are a faculty or a staff member
  • Student wishing to send email to all students for the purpose of class project/surveys etc, the request must be made to Dean of Students Hyon Moon by the faculty member teaching the course
  • Please note that certain staff members have the authority to send email to all students representing their departments such as Residential Life, Career Development, Student Activities, and Athletics and Recreation

To send email to staff:

  • Submit to Vice President for Finance and Administration Arch Asawa

If the above designated reviewer(s) determines that an email message to the distribution list is the most appropriate form of communication for the related message, the email will be approved and delivered to the users included in the distribution list. If the reviewer determines that mass email is not the best form of communication for the message content, the message is inappropriate, or not of interest to all recipients, the sender will be notified that the message will not be sent and if possible, alternative opportunities for the communication will be suggested. Senders should allow at least 48 hours for the requested message to be reviewed and released or denied.

Fundraising is defined as the collection of money through voluntary contributions, sales, and/or events/programs. The university understands that students, especially those affiliated with university registered student clubs, affinity groups and other student organizations, may wish to seek external funds to support key initiatives and projects. It is therefore important that students understand that the university benefits greatly from the ongoing generosity of SUA alumni, parents and donors who provide significant monetary support for university and student-related services on an annual basis. For these reasons, it is imperative that all fundraising activities are coordinated through the Office of Student Activities at Soka University of America.

For any unofficial fundraiser not sanctioned by the university but has impact on any of the following: university campus, groups, students (or any subset of student communities), etc. must include disclaimer text stating: “This is NOT an official Soka University of America sanctioned fundraiser and as such donations to this fundraiser will not receive a receipt to support a tax-deductible donation. The conduct of unofficial fundraisers is done at the organizing individual or group’s sole risk, including any tax implications of raising funds, and legal or criminal ramifications of its contents and private data use.”

Fundraising Guidelines

  • The fundraising activity is required to offer a benefit to the university community that is consistent with the university’s educational mission, and the purpose for which the funds will be raised must be consistent with the purpose of the registered student organization/club, the Student Code of Conduct, and other applicable policies of the university.
  • University policy governs all fundraising activities for cash, goods and services targeting off-campus entities including individuals, local businesses, corporation and entities. Off-campus fundraising activities by any SUA entity including student organizations and individuals is restricted and requires prior university approval from the Office of Development, with preliminary approval from the Office of Student Activities. The Office of Development coordinates all fundraising efforts to benefit the university. The university has such policies in order to coordinate fundraising efforts and to ensure good stewardship.
  • Prior to undertaking any fundraising activities, a Fundraising Request Form must be submitted to, and approved by, the Office of Student Activities who will notify the Office of Development. If approved, the Office of Student Activities will notify the person(s) submitting the request form and fundraising may commence no earlier than the notification of approval date.
  • An accounting of any funds raised must be provided to the Office of Student Activities within five business days after the event.
  • With prior written approval from the Office of Student Activities, and notification given to the Office of Development, certain exceptions to the policy may be made on a case by case basis. If permission to raise funds is granted, it will be limited to each specific fundraising event and only for the school year in which it is approved. For example:
    • Fundraising for Alternative Spring Break (i.e. car wash)
    • Fundraising for SESRP
    • Fundraising for Student Organizations or Class Activities (i.e. selling flowers, T-shirts, chocolate, Boba)
    • Fundraising for International Festival
  • Otherwise, except by written approval from the Office of Student Activities and notification given to the Office of Development, solicitation, sale of goods or services, and or distribution of items or materials on campus by students, student groups, and non-student groups is strictly prohibited.
  • Individual students, university registered student clubs, affinity groups and other student organizations are not permitted to solicit donors, alumni or parents for monetary support. Should a student organization wish to solicit donors, alumni or parents for fund-raising, it is required that the group contacts the Office of Development.
  • Students are not permitted to conduct widespread fundraising appeals, including fundraising using crowdfunding platforms (e.g., Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Patreon, etc.) as they do not meet university policy. In addition, any funds raised through such crowdfunding sites, which are not tax-deductible and subject to the third-party transaction fees, create possible personal, earned-income and related tax liabilities for those individuals collecting such funds.
  • Techniques such as social media or crowdfunding (the practice of funding a project by raising money from many people, typically via the internet, for example but not limited to: GoFundMe) using person-to-person payments (for example but not limited to: Zelle, Venmo, PayPal) are never used by the university.
  • Any student or group found using the name of Soka University of America, logo, name lists of donors/alumni/staff/faculty/students, or the likeness of Soka without expressed written consent of the University will be subject to repercussions ranging from a minimum of a warning to a maximum of suspension. In the event legal resources are required to be employed by the University, the fees will be the responsibility of the violating individual or group.
  • Students are prohibited from contacting donors for purposes of soliciting donations of any kind.
  • Approved fundraising initiatives must report all fundraising activity to the Office of Student Activities and all fundraised monies for the purpose of club support shall be deposited into the student club/ affinity group’s designated account. In addition, there should be proper accounting for all disbursements from the account to insure that monies are spent in accordance with the student organization’s bylaws and/or purpose.
  • The Offices of Student Activities and Development reserve the right to prohibit and rescind any and all university-recognized organization fundraising activity and privileges when appropriate. The university reserves the right to restrict all fundraising activities to reasonable times, places, and manners. The following activities are specifically prohibited:
    • Solicitation by credit card or debit card, with the exception of those approved by the Office of Student Activities or Office of Development.
    • Fundraising using crowdfunding platforms (e.g., Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Patreon, etc.) for any student clubs, organization or individuals
    • Door-to-door fundraising on campus or on university-owned, -operated, or -controlled property.
    • Formal fundraising events/programs soliciting donors, alumni, parents, faculty, or staff, with the exception of those approved by Office of Student Activities or Office of Development.
    • Fundraising for any candidate for political office or political campaigns.
    • Sale or distribution of items that violate the university trademark rights or existing contracts.
    • Sale or distribution of items that are a violation to the Student Code of Conduct.
  • Donations of $250 or greater which intended to support a registered student organization on campus must be made through the Office of Development so that the donor can be properly recognized and receipted. The Office of Student Activities will coordinate the disbursement of funds to the student organization.
  • SUA acknowledges that a policy of this nature may not anticipate every possible issue that may arise with respect to fundraising activities. As a result, the university reserves the right to impose reasonable restrictions and/or requirements with respect to time, place and manner of fundraising activity. Restrictions may be made in addition to, or in lieu of, those set forth in the policy. Violators of this Fundraising Policy may be subject to:
    • Fines and/or restitution including loss of funding for the current academic year or longer
    • Loss of the right to use university property or facilities for events/programs
    • Loss of registered status as a student organization
    • Other disciplinary sanctions
    • Other educational sanctions appropriate to the circumstances.

Any questions pertaining to any part of this fundraising policy may be directed to the Office of Student Activities.

The university strictly prohibits the use or possession of firearms and other weapons or implements that may be used for violent purposes, including illegal knives. Such items are not permitted on campus. Fireworks and other explosive materials are also prohibited. Students are reminded that California laws, Section 12303.2 and 12312 of the Penal Code, establish strict restrictions of these items.

It is the expectation of the university that all campus citizens respect the property of the university as well as property belonging to other campus citizens.

Smoking is not permitted in any campus building. Smoking is allowed on campus only in clearly identified areas. The campus is surrounded by a wilderness park, which presents a significant fire hazard. Smoking rules are strictly enforced. 

No Smoking Permitted:

  • Entire perimeter of campus along canyon 
  • Friendship Lane: Small Conference Center, Athenaeum, Guest Residence
  • Security Main Gate House

Smoking Permitted:

  • Facilities: Employee break area between buildings
  • Recreation Center: first and second floor east patios (outside)
  • Founders Hall: first floor west patio near benches away from doors
  • Gandhi and Ikeda: Stairs second landing between two buildings by benches
  • Pauling Hall: Overlook east of reflection ponds, east end of Pauling near benches just east of Room 216 A
  • Student Center: Patio area south of east entry door, area behind building entrance to kitchen
  • Other areas near Ikeda/Student Center: second level walkway area with trees and benches west of building
  • Outside Residence halls: No smoking within 25 feet of entrances, including terraces and balconies

All areas will be provided with butt containers and the community is asked to please smoke in designated areas. We are attempting to address a very serious problem with a solution that is reasonable to both smokers and nonsmokers. Please note that there is no smoking in heavily traveled pedestrian areas such as main entry to dining hall to include outside seating, courtyard between Mail Room and Bookstore, foyer at top of stairs Ikeda between IT and Library entrance, area around the Ikeda 24-Hour Study Room, garden area near Gandhi classrooms, the front of gym, front of Founders Hall and around Peace Lake. 

Any problems with the designated areas or questions please contact director of public safety. A map delineating the designated areas will be posted on all campus bulletin boards.

The enforcement of university fire safety rules is to protect campus citizens and guests of the university.

The university prohibits tampering with or altering the following items: 

  • fire alarm pull stations 
  • fire doors—these doors are identified as doors with magnetic retainers at the top of the door 
  • fire extinguishers 
  • fire hoses 
  • fire sprinklers, strobe lights, and smoke detector devices 
  • glass breakage devices - positioned above the windows 
  • smoke detectors 
  • door pull stations 
  • elevator emergency system

Tampering includes but is not limited to: 

  • physical damage to any alarm system including the attempt to remove wiring or batteries from any alarm system 
  • physical damage or attempt to disconnecting fire doors
  • covering or disconnecting smoke detectors

For the safety of students and the protection of facilities, roof access is strictly prohibited.

The realities of community living dictate that individuals respect community needs for the moderation of noise. Residents are expected to exercise good judgment and consideration in maintaining a living environment conducive to the achievement of the educational mission of the university. This includes accepting responsibility for one’s behavior at all times and respecting the rights of other individuals. 

Residents are not permitted to make noise that disturbs others or exhibit disorderly conduct on university grounds. 

Disruptive Noise: making noise or causing noise to be made with objects and instruments, which disturbs classes, meetings, office procedures and other authorized university activities. 

Sound Amplification: using sound amplification equipment such as a bullhorn on campus or in buildings without written permission of the dean of students or the dean’s designee, except when such use is authorized for official university activities.

Soka University seeks to support the spiritual and religious beliefs and practices of all our community members. As a diverse campus community, we seek to promote respect and understanding among all religious groups on campus and to foster an enlightening and informative exchange among them. Also, it is a person’s right to have no faith, to be an atheist, and this must be respected, too. SUA promotes open, respectful, and non-judgmental dialogue among groups, especially cautioning campus citizens to carefully monitor their use of language with those of different religious beliefs.

Soka University student groups, clubs, and organizations are required to follow specified rules regarding the showing of movies and films on the university campus. These regulations come from the Office of the Dean of Students. The following information provides the rules and processes students must follow to showing a movie or film on the SUA campus. 

Public Performance Rights

Commercial films and videotapes/DVDs have copyrights that restrict the manner in which they can be shown. There are two specific restrictions which raise issues for students wishing to show films on campus. The first issue relating to videotapes/ DVDs and films is “home” versus “public” viewings. If you rent a videotape/ DVD or film, you always have permission to show it in your home. The Office of the Dean of Students and the Graduate School Office feel that SUA’s residence halls meet the requirement as homes. However, no other SUA buildings qualify. For more information on this distinction, please contact the Soka Library at (949) 480-4105 or the Reference Desk. 

The second issue relates to charging an admission (or viewing) fee. This always requires an explicit public performance right. Therefore, if you wish to show a video tape/DVD or film outside your residence hall and/or charge money, you must have an acceptable public performance right. There are several ways to obtain these rights: 

  • Renting the film from a distributor. (The cost to rent varies and is generally dependent upon the popularity of the movie.)
  • Owning a copy of the movie that comes with public performance rights
  • Getting written public performance rights from the copyright holder. (The Office of the Dean will accept a letter from the company, filmmaker, producer, or director of the film.) 

The student group, club or organization cannot show the video/DVD/film unless they have obtained the appropriate performance rights. You are required to present a copy of your rental agreement or other documentation to the Office of the Dean by 5:00 p.m. at least one business day before your showing. (If you intend to show a movie on Friday, you must present documentation by 5:00 p.m. no later than Thursday. If you are planning a showing on the weekend, submit your documents on Friday. For a Monday showing, submit on Friday, etc.) 

When movies are shown for a course, different rules apply. Please contact the Office of the Dean of Faculty at (949) 480-4181 and Graduate School office at (949) 480-4065 if you need information regarding applicable copyright regulations for courses. 

Rules for Showing Movies

Any student group, club or organization in the university borrowing commercial films including films from the SUA library, all copyright regulations as outlined below must be followed. 

  • If admission is charged, any surplus revenue shall be used to further the educational goals of the sponsoring organization, as outlined in its charter. 
  • The showing of commercial films in the university is subject to the following regulations:
    • advertising must be restricted to the SUA community
    • the recognized student organization, or other appropriate committee will ordinarily be responsible for the screening of films and for financial arrangements. 

Copyright Regulations

The federal Copyright Act makes it unlawful to show a film in public without the explicit permission of the film’s copyright owner. Renting or purchasing a cassette at a local video store or elsewhere gives the customer the right to view the film but not to show it in public. The Copyright Act defines “public” in this context as “any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered.” All students who wish to show videos/ DVDs/ films under circumstances that are likely to be considered “public” are urged to call the production or distribution organization to arrange for appropriate permission otherwise arrangements to secure movies can be made through Swank Motion Pictures (800) 876-5577.

Submitting an event to the SUA Campus Calendar is strictly to notify SUA students, staff and faculty of SUA events. Content for SUA Campus Calendar should primarily be events that are open to the campus community and/or the general public. Regularly scheduled classes or student organization/club meetings are not to be posted. For additional information, please contact the Office of Student Activities at (949) 480-4016.

The following policies and procedures must be adhered for posting flyers, banners, or posters on campus. Materials that do not follow these policies will be removed immediately:

  • Registered student organizations may post up to 12 flyers (8-1/2” x 11” to 11”x 17”) and up to 3 large posters (up to 22” x 34”). To request large poster printing through IT Services, the staff/faculty advisor must make the request.
  • All materials posted on campus must be approved and stamped by the Student Affairs Administrative Assistant.
  • With the exception of the Dining Hall, no banners, posters or other signage may be attached to any campus door, glass, or windows.
  • With the exception of the Dining Hall, no more than one poster advertising the same item or event is permitted per posting area.
  • Publicity that portrays violence, policy violations, or offensive material is prohibited.
  • It is a violation of policy to deface or destroy posted materials.
  • Groups posting materials are also responsible for the removal of dated materials.
  • When using tape, only blue painters tape can be used to prevent damage and residue on walls.


The following locations are permitted for posting approved flyers, banners and posters:

  • Residence Halls on residence hall elevator walls (no elevator doors) & on 2nd floor entry walls (no doors, windows, or other areas). See Residence Hall Posting Policy below.
  • Campus bulletin boards located inside the Dining Hall, outside in the Student Center Courtyard, the Ikeda Library south wing alcove, and the Ikeda Library 24-hour copy room. For the bulletin board in the 24-hour copy room, library staff will accept and post only letter-size (8.5 x 11inches) flyers. Drop off your approved flyer at the Circulation Desk on the main floor of the library.
  • Dining Hall windows and pillars
  • Student Center outdoor walkways
  • Student Center wall next to exterior wooden stairs 1st to 2nd floor level

Process for approval:

  • Registered student organizations should email a digital copy of the flyer/poster to the Student Affairs Administrative Assistant for conditional approval of banners. (To contact the Student Affairs Administrative Assistant, email Jake Monahan
  • Once conditionally approved, students may print out the appropriate number of flyers/posters and drop them off to the Student Affairs Administrative Assistant located in Ikeda 3rd Floor #305 to have the flyers/posters stamped. Students can expect the flyers/banners to be stamped within one business day.

Residence Hall Posting Policy

  • Bring your printed flyers (maximum 20 flyers / 2 per hall only) to either the Atlantic 300 1st floor Front Office or Pacific 380 1st floor Office during office hours to have the materials stamped.  Office hours: (Monday – Friday 10a-12p, 1p-5p; or during evening office hours Monday – Sunday 7p-10p).  If the office is closed, please call the Duty Line.
  • Letter (8.5 x 11 inches), legal (8.5 x 14 inches), and tabloid (11 x 17 inches) sized flyers may be approved.  No other posters or banners in the residence halls.
  • Flyers can only be posted on residence hall elevator walls (no elevator doors) & on 2nd floor entry walls (no doors, windows, or other areas). 
  • Flyers must be stamped and approved by Residential Life before posting.  
  • Only blue painters’ tape can be used to post (so no residue is left). Residential Life can provide if needed. Please return tape after use.
  • Flyers should be taken down by the individual or club after the event is complete. 
  • Any fliers posted without approval, painters’ tape or not in the designated posting areas will be removed.
  • Residents can post (without a stamp) on their own student room corkboards, located outside of their rooms.

The Soka University of America name, symbol, logo, and mascot represent the spirit and image of the university, and must be treated with respect. University sanctioned events and/or organizations assume full responsibility for using the university name, symbol, logo, and mascot correctly and consistently. No individual, group, or sub-organization may use the Soka University of America name, symbol, logo, or mascot without the written authorization of the Office of the Dean of Students, the Dean’s designee, or the Graduate School Office except to identify institutional affiliation. Questions on usage may be referred to the Office of Community Relations.

The Peace Fountain, lake and the ponds are peaceful and serene campus focal points and gathering areas. It is every campus citizen’s responsibility to maintain and uphold the value of their beauty. Therefore, swimming, jumping and/or pushing others in the water, washing in or throwing trash into the water, tossing coins into the water and bailing water are strictly prohibited. The lake also serves as a reservoir for campus fire protection. Leashed animals must be kept away from the water of the lake, fountain and the ponds.

The Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park is a wildlife sanctuary and ALL plants, animals, and artifacts are protected. The campus is privileged to enjoy and share in the beauty of the wilderness park as it borders the university. As such, all campus citizens are expected to respect and preserve the natural environment. The following policies apply to all campus citizens:

  • Access to the wilderness park is through Park Headquarters only. There is no entry from the SUA campus.
  • Do not create new trails. Do not use un-signed trails.
  • Do not collect or pick flowers, leave fossils and artifacts where you see them. Take only photographs - leave only footprints.

All animals brought onto campus are required to follow all Orange County ordinances pertaining to animals including but not limited to, removal of animal waste and maintaining animals on leashes. Animals are not permitted in any athletic/recreation facility including the athletic fields.

No animals are permitted in buildings unless authorized. For regulations pertaining to assistance and service animals, please contact the Disability Services Office in Student Affairs or email Violation of this policy will require the immediate removal of the animal and possible disciplinary action and fines.

Due to the potential danger these activities pose to others and the possible damage to the facilities, rollerblading, roller skating, and skateboarding are not allowed on campus except in designated areas.

The only area designated for these activities is the loop road, University Circle, that winds around campus. Blading, skating, boarding and scooting is strictly prohibited anywhere else on campus or on the periphery of campus, including sidewalks, parking lots and along Friendship Lane. When engaging in this activity as a mode of transportation from one point on the loop road to another, please exercise extreme caution, respecting the rules of the road, including posted speed limits, to ensure the safety and protection of yourself and others. Public Safety will strictly enforce this policy.

Soka bans and prohibits self-balancing scooters, more commonly known as Hover Boards, on the entire campus property. This ban applies to all Hover Boards, self- balancing scooters, battery operated scooters and hands-free Segways.


We encourage students to enjoy their bicycles both on and off campus. The campus provides designated areas for locking bicycles. Due to safety and maintenance regulations, bicycles are not permitted inside buildings except in the designated bicycle parking area within the residence halls. Bicycles are not to block entrances or walkways. Bicycles are not to be locked to railings. Bicycles illegally parked may be removed and impounded by Public Safety. The university assumes no responsibility for bicycles which are improperly stored or parked.

Students are responsible for their property.

On campus parking for students is free with the required parking decal. Parking decals can be secured through Public Safety. All motorized vehicles including mopeds and motorcycles must be parked, stored or driven only in the designated areas and not in any campus buildings. Vehicles may park in designated parking spaces on campus. Parking is not permitted in front of the residence halls and the emergency lane leading to the interior of the residential community and is subject to towing. Designated parking is available for disabled individuals with the proper parking placard. Specific policies related to motor vehicle use and parking can be obtained through Public Safety.

Student Support Services

Visit Career Services

Visit Health Services

Visit Financial Aid