Apply for Financial Aid

Soka University of America’s Office of Financial Aid partners with students and families in order to ensure that Soka Education is accessible to all students who are admitted. In an effort to promote greater diversity and access, Soka has designed comprehensive merit and need-based financial aid program that ensures the fair distribution of State and Institutional grants, scholarships, and university loan programs for undocumented and DACA students. 

Is the Dream Application right for me?

If you are a US citizen or U.S. national, you should file the FAFSA. Please visit the Aid for Domestic Undergraduates page for more information.

Generally, you are an eligible non-citizen if you are one of the following:

  • US permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card”)
  • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
  • Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Indefinite Parole,” “Humanitarian Parole,” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant”
  • A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM).

If you meet the definition of “eligible non-citizen,” you should file the FAFSA. Please visit the Aid for Domestic Undergraduates page for more information.

If you are an international student attending (or planning on attending ) Soka University on an “F1 Student Visa”, you should complete the Soka International Student Financial Aid Application. Please visit the Aid for International Undergraduates page for more information.

If the previous citizenship statuses do not apply to you, then you are eligible to apply for the either California Dream or the Soka Dream application. For more information on these applications, please see the section below.  

California Dream or Soka Dream?

There are two types of financial aid applications for Dreamers. These are the California Dream Financial Aid Application or the Soka Dream Financial Aid Application. 

NOTE: The California Dream Financial Aid Application and the Soka Dream Financial Aid Application is used for university-based financial aid, not federal aid.

To apply for the California Dream Financial Aid application, you must meet the following CA AB540 requirements: 

  • Are not eligible to file a federal FAFSA application, AND
  • A) attended a California high school for a minimum of three years; OR B) attained credits, in California, for the California high school equivalent of at least three years or more of full-time high school coursework AND attained a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools
  • A) have graduated, or will graduate, from a California high school; OR B) attained a General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
  • Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university
  • Do not currently hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, B, C, D, E, etc). NOTE: If you hold a Temporary Protected Status, or hold a “U” Visa, you may be eligible. 

This describes me.

If you do not meet the California Dream Application requirements, you may be eligible for the Soka Dream Financial Aid application. The Soka Dream Financial Aid Application is a Soka-specific application used to determine the financial aid eligibility of students applying to Soka University who:

  • Are not eligible to file a federal FAFSA application; AND
  • Do not meet the qualifications for California Assembly Bill 540 (AB540), AB 130, and AB 131; and therefore cannot submit a state California Dream Financial Aid Application. 

If this describes you, please select the Soka Dream Application link below.

California Dream Act Application

Dreamer students who meet the California Assembly Bill 540 requirements should use the California Dream Application to apply.

Soka Dream Application

Dreamer students who do not meet the California Assembly Bill 540 requirements should use the Soka Dream Dream Application to apply.  (If you have trouble accessing this form [PDF], please contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance.)

Important Dates and Deadlines

Date Event

October 1 

Dream application is available

February 15 

Priority Financial Aid Application deadline (new applicants)

March 2

Financial Aid Application deadline

2nd week of March

Preliminary financial aid packages are released for newly admitted students

May 1

Verification forms and supporting documentation due (all students)

1st week of June

Verified financial aid packages released (all students)

1st week of semester

Financial aid disbursement for Fall semester

Contact Us

Office of Financial Aid 
1 University Drive 
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

(949) 480-4342 |

Office Hours

We are open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our offices are located on the second floor of Founders Hall. To schedule an appointment, please email