SUA Opens Nominations for Third Soka Global Citizen Award
Soka University of America is opening nominations for its third Soka Global Citizen Award. The award is presented to an individual who has made a major contribution to the global community and inspired positive change in one of the following areas:
- The practice of nonviolence in human society
- The study of ecological realities and means of protecting the environment
- The focus on poverty and global justice
- The awareness of human equality and dignity
The annual award includes $25,000 to carry on the winner’s work. The nomination process opened November 18. The deadline for nominations is January 31, 2023, and the recipient will be announced on March 16.
Past recipients of the Soka Global Citizen Award include Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury for his dedicated work towards peace, women’s rights and equality, and for the cause of the world’s poorest and most disadvantaged nations; and Ambassador Andrew Young for his life’s work in courageously advocating for the social, political, and economic advancement and human rights of people in over 150 countries.
Nomination submissions should include the following:
- Nomination letter detailing the candidate’s contributions in one or more of the areas identified in the criteria section as well as how the candidate has embodied the essential elements of global citizenship in addressing these issues (maximum 1,000 words). Supporting documents may be attached.
- Letter from nominee acknowledging consent to their nomination, contact information (address, email, and phone number) and biography.
- Supplemental information from nominator (contact information: address, email, phone number, relationship to nominee, affiliation to Soka University of America, if any).
Nominations can be electronically submitted to SokaGlobalCitizen@soka.edu or by mail to Soka Global Citizen Award Committee, Soka University of America, 1 University Drive, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656. Website: https://www.soka.edu/soka-global-citizen-award. Questions regarding the nominating process may be directed to SokaGlobalCitizen@soka.edu