Katherine Perry, PhD
I am a mathematician specializing in graph theory, design theory, and combinatorics. I am especially interested in breaking apart graphs into smaller subgraphs with special properties. I have a BA in mathematics from Scripps College and received both my master’s and PhD in mathematics from Auburn University working with Chris Rodger. Prior to SUA, I was a postdoc at the University of Denver working with Paul Horn.
In my classrooms, I aim to create an atmosphere of discovery through a variety of techniques designed to activate students’ abilities to think critically. Rather than simply explaining the material, I challenge my students to see a problem and organically develop a process to solve it themselves, with confidence at efficiency. I teach a variety of math courses, but some of my favorites are discrete mathematics, graph theory, mathematics for liberal arts, and linear algebra!
- PhD, Auburn University
- MA, Auburn University
- BA, Scripps College
- Liberal Arts Math
- Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics
- Graph Theory
- Design Theory
- Jane Breen, Boris Brimkov, Joshua Carlson, Leslie Hogben, K.E. Perry, Carolyn Reinhart. Throttling for the Game of Cops and Robbers on Graphs. Discrete Mathematics 341:9 (2018), 2418--2430.
- Hung-Lin Fu, Yuan-Hsun Lo, K.E. Perry, C.A. Rodger. On the Number of Rainbow Spanning Trees in Edge-Colored Complete Graphs. Discrete Mathematics 341:8 (2018), 2343--2352.
- Travel Grant to attend the Conference on Combinatorics and its Applications (in celebration of Charlie Colbourn’s birthday), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, July 2018
- AWM Mathematics Travel Grant to attend the Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, Florida Atlantic University, March 2018
- University of Denver Internationalization Grant to attend the Masamu Advanced Study Institute and Workshops in Mathematical Sciences, University of Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Tanzania, 2017
- College of Science and Mathematics Dean’s Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, Auburn University, 2015
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics Excellence in Teaching, Auburn University, 2016, 2015, 2014