Bryan E. Penprase
Bryan E. Penprase, PhD
Academic Administration - Undergraduate Program
Faculty - Full-Time
- PhD, Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of Chicago
- MS, Applied Physics, Stanford University
- BS, Physics, Stanford University
- Archeoastronomy and World Cosmology
- Liberal Arts and Higher Education in Asia
- Archeoastronomy and Cultural Astronomy
- Quasar Absorption Line Spectroscopy
- Type la Supernovae
Books and Book Chapters:
- Penprase, B.E., “Undergraduate Education at NUS and the founding of Yale-NUS College,” two chapters in the forthcoming sequel to “The New Flagship University,” edited by John Douglass, UC Berkeley CSHE.
- Penprase, B.E., “The Zwicky Transient Facility,” article in AccessScience McGraw-Hill Education Encyclopedia of Science & Technology.
- Penprase, B.E., “New liberal arts and science institutions in India and Singapore – the role of STEM education,” contributed article, The Liberal Arts and Science Education Dialogue across Continents: Experiences and Perspectives from the USA, Europe, and Asia, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Penprase, B.E., “Calendars and Timekeeping Around the World” entry in the Encyclopaedia of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Non-Western Cultures, H. Selin, editor, Springer Verlag, NY.
- Penprase, B.E., “The Power of Stars – How Celestial Observations Have Shaped Civilization,” published by Springer Verlag. First edition released October 2010; second edition released May 2017.
- Garsten, B., Patke, R., Bailyn, C., Jacobs, J., Chuan, K., and Penprase, B., “Yale-NUS College - A New Community of Learning” April 2013.
Publications in Refereed Journals
(undergraduate student authors indicated with an asterisk):
- Swiggum, J.K., McLaughlin, M., Lorimer, D., Kaplan, D.L., Lynch, R., Gentile, P., Rosen, R., Heatherly, S.A., Ray, P.S., Bogdanov, S., Barlow, B.N., Hegedus, R.J., Vasquez Soto, A., Clancy, P., Kondratiev, V.I., Stovall, K., Istrate, A., and Penprase, B., 2017, “A Multi Frequency Study of PSR J1400-1431,” Astrophysical Journal, submitted.
- Penprase, B.E., Sargent, W., Martinez, I.T.*, and Beeler, D.*, 2017, “A Possible Redshift Dependence of the D/H Ratio Observed in QSO/DLA Absorption Line Systems,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, in preparation.
- Marsh, F.M.*, Simon, A.A., Penprase, B.E., Mettig, H., and Hahn, G. 2016, “The Relationship of Feature Drift Rate to Zonal Wind Velocity in the Northern Equatorial Belt of Jupiter I: Synoptic Scale Features,” submitted to Icarus.
- Phillips, M.M., Simon, Joshua D., Madore, Barry F.; Penprase, B. E., (several co-authors omitted for space), 2013, “On the Source of the Dust Extinction in Type Ia Supernovae and the Discovery of Anomalously Strong Na I Absorption,” Astrophysical Journal, 779, 38.
- Sternberg, A., Gal-Yam, A., Simon, J. D., Leonard, D. C., Quimby, R. M., Phillips, M. M., Morrell, N., Thompson, I. B., Ivans, I., Marshall, J. L., Filippenko, A. V., Marcy, G. W., Bloom, J. S., Patat, F., Foley, R. J., Yong, D., Penprase, B. E., Beeler, D. J.*, Allende Prieto, C., Stringfellow, G. S., 2011, “Circumstellar Material in Type Ia Supernovae via Sodium Absorption Features,” Science, 333, 856.
- Thomas, C.A., Trilling, D.E., Emery, J.P., Mueller, M., Hora, J.L., Benner, L.A.M., Bhattacharya, B., Bottke, W.F., Chesley, S., Delbo, M., Fazio, G., Harris, A.W., Mainzer, A., Mommert, M., Morbidelli, A., Penprase, B., Smith, H.A., Spahr, T.B., and Stansberry, J.A., 2011, “ExploreNEOs. V. Average Albedo by Taxonomic Complex in the Near-Earth Asteroid Population,” Astronomical Journal, 142, 85.
- Penprase, B.E., Prochaska, J.X., Sargent, W.L.W, Toro Martinez, I.*, and Beeler, D.*, 2010, “Keck ESI Observations of Metal-Poor Damped Lyman-alpha Systems,” Ap. J. 721, 1.