Junyi Liu, PhD
Faculty - Full-Time
Dr. Junyi Liu was academically trained in economics, finance, and governance. He has published papers on foreign exchange, corruption and development, and public health.
- PhD Economics, Indiana University Bloomington
- MA Economics, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- BAs Economics and Governance, and MA Finance, Peking University
- Upper Division Courses: Development Economics, Macroeconomics, International Economics
- Lower Division Courses: Principle of Economics, Introduction to Pacific Basin, Learning Cluster (field trip): A tale of two cities through economic lenses I: Los Angeles and II: Beijing, Economic Development and Social Enterprises I: San Francisco and II: Hong Kong
- International Economics
- Economic Development
- Public Health
- “Local Corruption, Total Factor Productivity and Firm Heterogeneity: Empirical Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Firms.” (Joint with Firat Demir, Chenghao Hu, and Hewei Shen), World Development, March 2022, volume 151.
- “Exchange rate exposure and its determinants in China." China Economic Review, February 2021; volume 65. (Joint with Qing He and Ce Zhang)
- “Exchange Rate Exposure and International Competition: Evidence from Chinese Industries.” Journal of Contemporary China, February 2021. (Joint with Qing He and Ce Zhang)
- “Bureaucratic Integration and Synchronization of Regional Economic Growth: Evidence from China.” China Economic Review, October 2020; volume 63. (Joint with Qing He, Chang Xue and Shaojie Zhou).
- “The impact of COVID-19 on stock markets.” Economic and Political Studies, May 2020: page 275-288. (Joint with Qing He, Sizhu Wang and Jishuang Yu.)
- “Trade Openness and the Obesity Epidemic: A Cross-national Study of 175 Countries during 19752016.” Annals of Epidemiology, September 2019; volume 37: 31-36. (Joint with Ruopeng An et al.)
- “A systematic review of food pantry-based interventions in the USA.” Public Health Nutrition, June 2019; 22(9):1704-1716. (Joint with Ruopeng An et al.)
- “Systemic Financial Risk and Macroeconomic Activity in China.” Journal of Economics and Business, March- April 2019, Volume 102: 57-63. (Joint with Qing He, Zongxin Qian, and Jingyun Gan)
- “Diet and self-rated health among oldest-old Chinese”. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, May - June 2018;76:125-132 (Joint with Ruopeng An, Xiaoling Xiong, and Chenghua Guan).
- “Functional Limitation and cognitive impairment among 80+ year old Chinese”. Australasian Journal on Aging, December 2016,35(4):266-272. (Joint with Jiakun Zheng, Ruopeng An).
- “Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption in relation to daily energy and nutrient intakes among US adult cancer survivors, 2003-2012”. Nutrition and Health,Jul-Oct 2015; 22(3-4):181-95 (Joint with Ruopeng An).
- “Local Labor Market Fluctuations and Physical Activity among Adults in the United States, 1990-2009”. ISRN Public Health,Volume 2012 (Joint with Ruopeng An).
Papers under review:
- “Network Effects of Local Corruption on Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Chinese Cities” (Joint with Yao-Yu Chih, Firat Demir, Chenghao Hu and Hewei Shen)
- “Dancing with Dragon: the RMB and the Currencies on the Belt and Road” (Joint with Qing He and Jishuang Yu). R&R to Research in International Business and Finance.
- “The Response of Global Stock Markets to Economic Sanctions: Evidence from the Russia-Ukraine Conflict” (Joint with Qing He, Haoming Feng, and Hailong Yang).
- "A Spatial Analysis of Local Corruption on Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Chinese Cities" (Joint with Yao-Yu Chih, Firat Demir, Chenghao Hu, and Hewei Shen).
- 2021-present, Associate Professor of Economics, Soka University of America
- 2015-2021, Assistant Professor of Economics, Soka University of America
- 2013-2014, Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, Occidental College
- 2012-2013, Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, Loyola Marymount
- Faculty Teaching Grant by the dean's office, Soka University of America, 2019
- Faculty Merit Award 2021-2022, Soka University of America
- Faculty Fellowship by Pacific Basin Research Center, Soka University of America, 2018-2019
- Faculty Symposium Grant by the Office of Academic Affairs, Soka University of America, 2018
- Faculty Summer Research Grant by Pacific Basin Research Center, Soka University of America, 2016
- Graduate Students Economics Fellowship, Indiana University, 2009
- Fee Scholarship of Arts and Science, Indiana University, 2007-2012
- Government Scholarship, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005-2007