Junyi Liu, PhD
Dr. Junyi Liu was academically trained in economics, finance, and governance, in China and the U.S. He has a dozen of peer-review journal publications on foreign exchange, corruption and development, and public health.
- PhD Economics, Indiana University Bloomington
- MA Economics, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- BAs Economics and Governance, and MA Finance, Peking University
- Upper Division Courses: Development Economics, Macroeconomics, International Economics
- Lower Division Courses: Principle of Economics, Introduction to Pacific Basin, Learning Cluster (field trip): A tale of two cities through economic lenses I: Los Angeles and II: Beijing, Economic Development and Social Enterprises I: San Francisco and II: Hong Kong
- International Economics
- Economic Development
- Public Health
“Local Corruption, Total Factor Productivity and Firm Heterogeneity: Empirical Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Firms.” (Joint with Firat Demir, Chenghao Hu, and Hewei Shen).accepted by World Development.
“Exchange rate exposure and its determinants in China." China Economic Review, February 2021; volume 65. (Joint with Qing He and Ce Zhang)
“Exchange Rate Exposure and International Competition: Evidence from Chinese Industries.” Journal of Contemporary China, February 2021,(Joint with Qing He and Ce Zhang)
“Bureaucratic Integration and Synchronization of Regional Economic Growth: Evidence from China.” China Economic Review, October 2020; volume 63. (Joint with Qing He, Chang Xue and Shaojie Zhou).
“The impact of COVID-19 on stock markets.” Economic and Political Studies, May 2020: page 275-288. (Joint with Qing He, Sizhu Wang and Jishuang Yu.)
“Trade Openness and the Obesity Epidemic: A Cross-national Study of 175 Countries during 19752016.” Annals of Epidemiology, September 2019; volume 37: 31-36. (Joint with Ruopeng An et al.)
“A systematic review of food pantry-based interventions in the USA.” Public Health Nutrition, June 2019; 22(9):1704-1716. (Joint with Ruopeng An et al.)
“Systemic Financial Risk and Macroeconomic Activity in China”. Journal of Economics and Business, March- April 2019, Volume 102: 57-63. (Joint with Qing He, Zongxin Qian, and Jingyun Gan)
“Diet and self-rated health among oldest-old Chinese”. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, May - June 2018;76:125-132 (Joint with Ruopeng An, Xiaoling Xiong, and Chenghua Guan).
“Functional Limitation and cognitive impairment among 80+ year old Chinese”. Australasian Journal on Aging, December 2016,35(4):266-272. (Joint with Jiakun Zheng, Ruopeng An).
“Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption in relation to daily energy and nutrient intakes among US adult cancer survivors, 2003-2012”. Nutrition and Health,Jul-Oct 2015; 22(3-4):181-95 (Joint with Ruopeng An).
“Local Labor Market Fluctuations and Physical Activity among Adults in the United States, 1990-2009”. ISRN Public Health,Volume 2012 (Joint with Ruopeng An).
“Network Effects of Local Corruption on Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Chinese Cities” (Joint with Yao-Yu Chih, Firat Demir, Chenghao Hu and Hewei Shen), under review.
“Dancing with Dragon: the RMB and the Currencies on the Belt and Road” (Joint with Qing He and Jishuang Yu). 2021.working paper.
“Taxation, Corruption, and the Activity of the U.S. Multinationals” (Joint with Michael Alexeev and Leslie Young). 2017. working paper.
- 2021-present, Associate Professor of Economics, Soka University of America
- 2015-2021, Assistant Professor of Economics, Soka University of America
- 2013-2014, Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, Occidental College
- 2012-2013, Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, Loyola Marymount University
- Faculty Teaching Grant by the dean's office, Soka University of America, 2019
- Faculty Fellowship by Pacific Basin Research Center, Soka University of America, 2018-2019
- Faculty Symposium Grant by the Office of Academic Affairs, Soka University of America, 2018
- Faculty Summer Research Grant by Pacific Basin Research Center, Soka University of America, 2016
- Graduate Students Economics Fellowship, Indiana University, 2009
- Fee Scholarship of Arts and Science, Indiana University, 2007-2012
- Government Scholarship, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005-2007