Ryan Allen, PhD
Dr. Ryan M. Allen is the Assistant Professor of Comparative and International Education and Leadership in the Educational Leadership and Societal Change Program at Soka University of America. His research centers on internationalization of higher education, EdTech, intersections between education and urbanism, and the East Asian region. He has published in numerous academic publications and popular outlets such as his most recent co-edited volume entitled Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education during COVID-19: International Perspectives and Experiences (Routledge, 2021). He is the current host of the KIX EAP Podcast, where he interviews scholars, policymakers, and educators on national development on the Europe, Asia, Pacific regions. He is also an active member in the Comparative and International Education Society, including the Study Abroad and International Student SIG, where he shares his passion for supporting international mobility and promoting study abroad. Before joining SUA, he was an Assistant Professor at Chapman University’s Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies and Coordinator for the Chapman-Shanghai Normal University Doctoral Program. Dr. Allen holds a PhD in Comparative and International Education from Teachers College, Columbia University, an MA in International Relations from Yonsei University (Seoul, South Korea), and a BA in Public Relations from the University of Central Oklahoma.
You can find his full research profile on Google Scholar.
- PhD Comparative and International Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- MA International Relations, Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University
- BA Public Relations, University of Central Oklahoma
- Leadership: Theory and Practice
- MA Thesis
- Law, Policy, and Ethical Decision-Making
- Ethnographies of Educational Leadership
- International and Comparative Education
- Internationalization of higher education
- Intersections between education and urbanism
- The East Asian region
- Lo, W. Y. W., & Allen, R. M. (2023). “The Rankings Game,” in D. Kapur, L. Kong, & D. M. Malone (Eds.), Oxford Handbook on Higher Education in Asia. UK: Oxford University.
- Allen, R., & Allen, Y. (2022). A Bibliometric Exploration into the Global Research Impact of China’s Thousand Talents Brand. Journal of Comparative & International Higher Education, 14(5), 134-170.
- Bista, K., Allen, R. M., & Chan, R. (Eds) (2022). Impacts of COVID-19 on International Students and the Future of Student Mobility. UK: Routledge.
- Allen, R. M., & Bista, K. (2022). Talented, Yet Seen with Suspicion: Surveillance of International Students and Scholars in the United States. Journal of International Students, 12(1).
- Chan, R., Bista, K., & Allen, R. M., (Eds) (2021). Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education during COVID-19: International Perspectives and Experiences. UK: Routledge.
- Shahjahan, R., Grim, A., & Allen, R. M. (2021). The “LOOMING DISASTER” for Higher Education: How University Rankers Amplify Precarity and Foster Affect on Social Media. Higher Education.
- Allen, R. M. (2021). When Peril Responds to Plague: Predatory Journal Engagement with COVID-19. Library Hi Tech. 39(3), 746-760.
- Allen, R. M., & Ye, Y. (2021). Why Deteriorating Relations, Xenophobia, and Safety Concerns Will Deter Chinese International Student Mobility to the United States. Journal of International Students, 11(2), i-vii.
- Allen, R. M (2021). Adding an international lens to the university striving model: How both global and national indicators influence the Chinese higher education hierarchy. International Journal of Chinese Education, 10(1), 1-16.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). Commensuration of the Globalised Higher Education Sector: How University Rankings Act as a Credential for World-Class Status in China. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 920-938.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). What Do Students Know about University Rankings? Testing Familiarity and Knowledge of Global and Domestic University League Tables in China. Frontiers of Education in China, 14(1), 59-89.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). Predatory Journals: Call to Action for the Field of Education. Teachers College Record. ID: 23117.
- Kim, H., & Allen, R. M. (2018). Glocalizing Cures for China’s Brain Drain Ills: The Thousand Talents Plan in Shanghai, Tianjin, and Guangdong. International Journal of Comparative Education and Development. 20(1): 16-32.
- Allen, R. M. (2017). A Comparison of China’s “Ivy League” to Other Peer Groupings Through Global University Rankings. Journal of Studies in International Education. 21 (5), 395-411.
- Allen, R. M., & Liu, J. (Eds.) (2016) Kuo Ping Wen: Scholar, Statesman, and Reformer. San Francisco, CA: Long River Press.
- Assistant Professor of Comparative and International Education and Leadership, The Graduate School, Soka University of America, 2022-Present
- Assistant Professor, Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies, Chapman University, 2018-2022