Ryan Allen, PhD
Faculty - Full-Time
- PhD Comparative and International Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- MA International Relations, Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University
- BA Public Relations, University of Central Oklahoma
- Leadership: Theory and Practice
- MA Thesis Proposal
- Law, Policy, and Ethical Decision-Making
- Internationalization of higher education
- Intersections between education and urbanism
- The East Asian region
- Bista, K., Allen, R. M., & Chan, R. (Eds) (2022). Impacts of COVID-19 on International Students and the Future of Student Mobility. UK: Routledge.
- Allen, R. M., & Bista, K. (2022). Talented, Yet Seen with Suspicion: Surveillance of International Students and Scholars in the United States. Journal of International Students, 12(1).
- Chan, R., Bista, K., & Allen, R. M., (Eds) (2021). Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education during COVID-19: International Perspectives and Experiences. UK: Routledge.
- Shahjahan, R., Grim, A., & Allen, R. M. (2021). The “LOOMING DISASTER” for Higher Education: How University Rankers Amplify Precarity and Foster Affect on Social Media. Higher Education.
- Allen, R. M. (2021). When Peril Responds to Plague: Predatory Journal Engagement with COVID-19. Library Hi Tech. 39(3), 746-760.
- Allen, R. M., & Ye, Y. (2021). Why Deteriorating Relations, Xenophobia, and Safety Concerns Will Deter Chinese International Student Mobility to the United States. Journal of International Students, 11(2), i-vii.
- Allen, R. M (2021). Adding an international lens to the university striving model: How both global and national indicators influence the Chinese higher education hierarchy. International Journal of Chinese Education, 10(1), 1-16.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). Commensuration of the Globalised Higher Education Sector: How University Rankings Act as a Credential for World-Class Status in China. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 920-938.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). What Do Students Know about University Rankings? Testing Familiarity and Knowledge of Global and Domestic University League Tables in China. Frontiers of Education in China, 14(1), 59-89.
- Allen, R. M. (2019). Predatory Journals: Call to Action for the Field of Education. Teachers College Record. ID: 23117.
- Kim, H., & Allen, R. M. (2018). Glocalizing Cures for China’s Brain Drain Ills: The Thousand Talents Plan in Shanghai, Tianjin, and Guangdong. International Journal of Comparative Education and Development. 20(1): 16-32.
- Allen, R. M. (2017). A Comparison of China’s “Ivy League” to Other Peer Groupings Through Global University Rankings. Journal of Studies in International Education. 21 (5), 395-411.
- Allen, R. M., & Liu, J. (Eds.) (2016) Kuo Ping Wen: Scholar, Statesman, and Reformer. San Francisco, CA: Long River Press.
- Assistant Professor of Comparative and International Education and Leadership, The Graduate School, Soka University of America, 2022-Present
- Assistant Professor, Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies, Chapman University, 2018-2022