The Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) at Soka University of America collaborates with faculty and administrators to identify and pursue externally funded research opportunities. OSR is engaged in the encouragement and support of the academic community by providing services to those seeking external funding in support of curriculum development, professional development, sponsored research, service, and training.
OSR serves as the official liaison between faculty, the university, and outside sponsors to ensure campus compliance with all regulations pertaining to research administration, including policies governing research animal care and use (IACUC), human research subjects protection (IRB), financial conflict of interest (FCOI) in research, grants management, and financial management.
In addition, OSR provides various academic administrative services including, but not limited to, reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting grants for sponsored research funded by federal, state, local agencies, foundations, other higher education institutions, public, and private sources. OSR prepares and negotiates all sub-awards for collaborative research with external sponsors on behalf of the university and named faculty.
Office of Sponsored Research Academic responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the academic community in developing and transforming ideas into grant proposals.
- Identifying potential funding sources.
- Seeking new avenues for funding and new grant opportunities.
- Disseminating funding opportunity information.
- Assessing eligibility.
- Assisting with budget development.
- Advising and assisting faculty in assembling grant proposals from the proposal stage to the project being awarded.
- Providing policy guidance and assistance with all aspects of proposal development, administrative forms, sponsor-required certifications and representations, and compliance requirements.
- Tracking deadlines to ensure timely submission of proposals.