Strengthening Creativity and Imagination
The Creative Arts Program (CARTS) at SUA is focused on the “hands-on” creation of artistic works in a range of media.
Our program is linked and contributes to the mission of the university in two specific ways:
- Through direct experience of the artistic process, students engage in a mode of human behavior that is universal across cultures and as ancient as our species itself, and this common experience can help foster the empathy necessary for global citizenship.
- Through developing creative thinking and imagination and the skills or craft to actualize that imagination in artistic works, students gain confidence in their own capabilities as creative individuals who can contribute to fresh solutions to the problems of today’s and tomorrow’s world in any field of endeavor.
While we also offer advanced-level courses in most areas, there are CARTS courses available in each medium to all students regardless of prior experience. It is not uncommon in our classes to have complete beginners working next to students with extensive backgrounds and learning and developing their capabilities together. Some of our former students have gone on to obtain graduate degrees in the arts, or to begin professional careers as artists or arts educators, but our focus and mission as a program is seeing all our students grow through these creative experiences.
- CARTS 101 Introduction to Music Composition
- CARTS 102 Introduction to Songwriting
- CARTS 110 Music Composition with the Computer
- CARTS 120 Drawing: Seeing & Imagination
- CARTS 130 Beginning Ceramics
- CARTS 131 Sculpture: Creating Form
- CARTS 140 Creative Painting
- CARTS 150 Introduction to Photography
- CARTS 160 Creative Dance
- CARTS 201 Composing Tonal Music
- CARTS 205 Improvising Music
- CARTS 210 Music Composition II: The Next Step
- CARTS 260 Advanced Creative Dance
- CARTS 320 Advanced Studio Art: Drawing II
- CARTS 330 Advanced Ceramics
- CARTS 340 Advanced Painting
- CARTS 350 Advanced Photography